Our Location


// Address

J L O’Hagan & Co Limited
The Master’s House, Abbey Yard
Newry, Co Down
N.Ireland BT34 2EG

// Phone

+44 (0) 28 3026 2828 / +44 (0) 28 3026 4240

// Fax

+44 (0) 28 3026 3344





For clients wishing to build a ‘one-off’ house in the rural area, we offer advice on PPS21 Sustainable Development in the Countryside and an initial assessment (free of charge) of the prospects of such applications being successful.


We represent clients with specific Planning problems concerning the possible impact of proposed development by third parties on their property.  We assist with making objections to such developments, up to appearing to give expert evidence at a Public Inquiry.


Such cases have involved commercial, retail and residential developments, both North and South.  Many involved Appeals to the Planning Appeals Commission (NI) and An Bord Pleanala (RoI).  We are familiar with the Planning procedure policies and practice applicable in both jurisdictions.


J L O’Hagan & Co Ltd is also experienced in working in Conservation Areas and has been responsible for many successful redevelopment works in such areas.


We can advise our clients on the requirements for Listed Buildings and building within a Conservation Area.


For various applications involving the licensing court, or Pharmacy Panels etc, J L O’Hagan & Co Ltd produce purpose drafted computer generated maps of catchment areas.





Expert Opinion on Planning Policy (NI and ROI)


    • including PPS21 – Sustainable Development in the Countryside



Planning Appeals: NI and ROI


      • Preliminary advice on planning procedures in NI and ROI and likelihood of success if Appeal lodged (No fee)


    • Appeals by written representations
    • Expert Witness at Public Inquiries
    • Representation at Land Tribunal Hearings


Assessment of Development – Potential of


    • Preliminary consultation and advice (no fee)
    • Site appraisal
    • Reporting on application relevant Planning policies
    • Reporting on Roads Safety requirements
    • Consultations with Planning Authority/Roads Service
    • Reporting on relevant previous Decision Notices
    • Advice on building costs of development
    • Advice on Certificates of Lawful Use or Development


Expert Witness


      • Licensing applications (liquor, entertainment, pharmaceutical, bookmakers)


    • Preparation of neighbourhood maps required at hearing
    • Preparation of Land Transfer Maps


Personal Injury – NI High Court


    • Preparing report of evidence
    • Attending to give evidence in High Court


Building Defects – Dispute and claims


    • Preparing report of evidence
    • Attending in County Court or High Court